Thursday, January 31, 2008

Report teacer against discrmination Deaf (Part 1)

I am writing you a letter for a follow up on what is happening with me and the classes at San Bernardino Valley College. On the first two weeks of school there were a lot of bumps due to interpreter not showing up for my read 950 which really affect me being behind with the class. When Diana had straighten things out with interpreters on the 2nd week. I have approached Professor Carolyn A. Roper to what I have missed on the syllabus and her lectures. Prof. Ropers approach was harsh and said that she felt that she didn’t need to repeat because she had repeatedly told the class. I have told her that it was my first time asking since I has the interpreter finally being with me. Prof. Roper didn’t approach me properly because she raised her voice toward to me which makes the students look at me. one day Prof. Roper told me that I need to learn how to pronounce the words in the book and practice. I have expressed her that I do not speak because ASL is my primary communication. Prof. Roper said that she will be happy to sit with me one to one to practice it. I told her no because I don’t speak and only speak ASL. Prof. Roper says if I learn how to pronounce my grade will go up if I don’t want to then the grade will remain the same. On the third week of class, Prof. Roper has approached my interpreter Arlyne that she was supposed to help me with me as a personal asst helping me with my class work. Arlyne told Prof. Roper that she is only here to interpreter the classroom and converse everything in ASL nothing else. Prof. Roper got upset with her and told her that she is not doing her job and of course again she raised her voice in the classroom. Arlyne and I decided to walk out of the class and came to see Diana Holmes at DSPS (Disabled student program service) to express our frustration. Diana had decided to talk with her boss Kathleen. Kathleen suggested for us to talk to the Dean of English of Dept. Kay wiss. We, Diana, Arlyne, and I went to see her and expressed on how we felt. To my understanding that Diana has expressed to me that Prof. Roper complained to Diana on why she send DSPS student, me, to her classroom. The Dean has listened to our frustration. The dean said that she will be talking to Prof. Roper. I almost decided to withdraw the class before the deadline without a “W” but I don’t want the Prof. Roper to win the battle of trying to get rid of me “the DSPS student”
I am behind with read 950 is because of Prof. Roper is not being patient with me. I also tried to manage to get a tutor but it is hard due to shortage of interpreter. I want to have interpreter with me for tutor. I had met Caleb the reading lab tutor. He is very patience and knows little sign but that is not helping me because again I need interpreter for my tutors. It is taking a toll on my Read 950. I feel there is no point for me to continue if I am having problem with Prof. Roper and the shortage of interpreter to go to tutor and catch up. I have been trying my darnest to catch up with Read 950 but there is no motivation for me to go to Prof. Roper classroom. The other classes I am taking are just fine. I am doing pretty well with them but Read 950.

No comments: